Superlative slicing, balanced perfection
We were approached earlier this year by an award-winning Hampshire butcher and asked if we could design and make him a bespoke Sujihiki-style blade with a blade length larger than anything we’d made previously.
During the Covid lockdown his on-line store had taken off hugely and he was finding himself doing all the preparation – so he deservedly thought that once it was all over and calmed down a bit he’d reward himself with a knife specifically designed for carving and separating beef (although it can be used for anything).
Being asked to design a new knife from scratch is usually always guaranteed to whet our appetite – and so began the not-inconsiderable task of making our first Japanese Sujihiki-inspired blade.
Normally possessing a blade length of around 14″, a Sujihiki is largely intended for slicing boneless protein, though the long, graceful blade is also very useful for trimming sinew and fat from meat. The short height of the blade creates less friction when slicing and the blade draws through fish and meat effortlessly. Our version has an overall cutting length of more than 16″ – given that the fewer slices the better the carving, even a substantial sirloin on the bone or gammon can be sliced immaculately with one stroke.
The custom Corian handle means it still retains a pleasing amount of balance and the magnetic sheath will protect the blade indefinitely. It was designed to be used day-in, day-out and kept in tip-top condition with only a honing steel.
If you would like to commission your own version of the Sujihiki, please be aware that the considerable amount of work involved in making a blade of this size means it will take longer than our standard lead times for our custom knives.
- "Outstanding" sharpness and edge durability
- 60 HRC Sandvik 14c28n
- Designed for gentle, frequent maintenance on a steel
- Our largest blade with a cutting length of more than 16"
- Custom Corian handle balances the knife beautifully
- Custom magnetic sheath protects the blade when not in use
Covid 19 Update
To ensure the safety and well being of our small team of knife makers we have implemented additional measures in our workshop to enable us to continue to make custom knives and accessories. The need for us to minimise the number of people in any one area of the workshop at any given time – plus ensuring all knives are sanitised prior to posting – means that our average lead time is currently around 4 to 6 weeks.
- Every Savernake product is made to order. The quest for perfection takes time, so in normal circumstances please allow 3-4 weeks for your order to arrive (see below for Gift Boxes, Cards & Panic Department).
- Need it sooner? Please get in touch and we’ll always do our best to help.
- Your order will be delivered by Royal Mail Special Delivery in its specially-designed tubular Savernake packaging and guidance on knife care.
- Gift Boxes, Cards & Ready Made items will be posted as soon as possible upon ordering (same working day if order is placed before 2pm)
We charge £40 flat rate delivery for delivery worldwide
Our products are guaranteed for a lifetime. We also offer a reconditioning service for damaged knives for a small fee.
We’re sure you’ll love your new knife. If there’s something not right with your order, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Personalised engraving is included on all knives
With proper care, our knives are guaranteed for a lifetime of use
Delivery to UK included, flat rate shipping worldwide