More curvaceous than Jessica Rabbit
For the last two years, we’ve had the honour of making a bespoke knife as a prize for each of the winners of The Craft Guild of Chefs National Chef of the Year and the Young National Chef of the Year.
National Chef of the Year 2019 winner Steve Groves, Head Chef at Roux at Parliament Square tasked us with the job of designing him his perfect boning knife – a challenge we were delighted to accept.
From initial sketches made during conversations with Steve, it became apparent that Steve was looking for a knife with a very pronounced upwards curve to the blade, tapering to a fine point. The handle needed to be shaped to be comfortable being held in a wide variety of grips.
Finally Steve wanted the design of the handle to replicate the design and colours of the dining room at Roux – opulent shades of dark teal, dark wood and gilt.
To ensure the design of the blade was spot on, we began by making an acrylic mockup of the knife for Steve to play with to ensure we’d captured the angle correctly. From there we then made Steve a fully functioning steel prototype to put to test in his kitchen.
Only when we were absolutely satisfied that the design was spot on did we then move on to making Steve’s finished knife.
For the handle we layered Padauk veneer sandwiched with Tabriz paper from the G . F Smith Colorplan range. Finally we added brass rivets as a nod to the gilt accents within the Rosendale-designed Roux dining room.
- Curved blade tapers to a fine point for detailed boning work
- Ergonomic handle designed for a variety of grips
- Lightweight and highly dextrous
- Brass pins and custom G . F Smith and veneer handle
Covid 19 Update
To ensure the safety and well being of our small team of knife makers we have implemented additional measures in our workshop to enable us to continue to make custom knives and accessories. The need for us to minimise the number of people in any one area of the workshop at any given time – plus ensuring all knives are sanitised prior to posting – means that our average lead time is currently around 4 to 6 weeks.
- Every Savernake product is made to order. The quest for perfection takes time, so in normal circumstances please allow 3-4 weeks for your order to arrive (see below for Gift Boxes, Cards & Panic Department).
- Need it sooner? Please get in touch and we’ll always do our best to help.
- Your order will be delivered by Royal Mail Special Delivery in its specially-designed tubular Savernake packaging and guidance on knife care.
- Gift Boxes, Cards & Ready Made items will be posted as soon as possible upon ordering (same working day if order is placed before 2pm)
We charge £40 flat rate delivery for delivery worldwide
Our products are guaranteed for a lifetime. We also offer a reconditioning service for damaged knives for a small fee.
We’re sure you’ll love your new knife. If there’s something not right with your order, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Personalised engraving is included on all knives
With proper care, our knives are guaranteed for a lifetime of use
Delivery to UK included, flat rate shipping worldwide