Regular honing will keep your knife in tiptop condition
Regular honing is vital to keep your knife edge in tiptop condition and prolong the life of your knife. While sharpening requires an abrasive surface and removes metal from your blade, honing works by simply realigning and polishing your edge to maintain sharpness.
Savernake Knives are designed to respond very well to honing and only need sharpening very rarely. This is one of the reasons why Savernake knives last so long. It’s essential though, that honing is done using a smooth steel that removes as little metal material as possible.
Our honing steels are made to order by a specially selected partner. We then add the handle of your choice in our Wiltshire workshop. Regularly honed, your knife should only need sharpening with a more abrasive surface once every year or two.
Choose from any of our standard materials and liner colours or choose a G . F Smith handle for something completely unique. If choosing this option, we will contact you after ordering to discuss colours and patterns but in the meantime why not take a look at our guide to customising a G . F Smith handle for inspiration.
For more information, watch our guide to using a honing steel here
- Handle materials to match your knife
- Keeping your blades in shape and ready for action
- Maintain a super sharp cutting edge
Covid 19 Update
To ensure the safety and well being of our small team of knife makers we have implemented additional measures in our workshop to enable us to continue to make custom knives and accessories. The need for us to minimise the number of people in any one area of the workshop at any given time – plus ensuring all knives are sanitised prior to posting – means that our average lead time is currently around 4 to 6 weeks.
- Every Savernake product is made to order. The quest for perfection takes time, so in normal circumstances please allow 3-4 weeks for your order to arrive (see below for Gift Boxes, Cards & Panic Department).
- Need it sooner? Please get in touch and we’ll always do our best to help.
- Your order will be delivered by Royal Mail Special Delivery in its specially-designed tubular Savernake packaging and guidance on knife care.
- Gift Boxes, Cards & Ready Made items will be posted as soon as possible upon ordering (same working day if order is placed before 2pm)
We charge £40 flat rate delivery for delivery worldwide
Our products are guaranteed for a lifetime. We also offer a reconditioning service for damaged knives for a small fee.
We’re sure you’ll love your new knife. If there’s something not right with your order, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Personalised engraving is included on all knives
With proper care, our knives are guaranteed for a lifetime of use
Delivery to UK included, flat rate shipping worldwide